19 June 2007

A Seersucker Concert Addendum

I forgot to mention the funniest part of the concert. Chris and I were settled into our balcony seats (not the best location, but not too bad) waiting for the concert to start when this dude comes stumbling down the next aisle, taking the seat directly behind us. He was wearing a slightly off-center baseball cap and a t-shirt with an unbuttoned seersucker dress shirt in multiple colors over it. His pants were also seersucker, BUT a totally different loud pattern of seersucker from the shirt. For all the tumbleweeds and crickets reading my blog out there who may not be familiar with seersucker, I have pasted a picture of some samples of it to the left. As you can see, the reason I'm noting his ensemble is because it was LOUD. And so was he. Did I mention he had a tumbler of rum and coke from the theatre's bar in his hand? Yeah, he reeked of it. Even before the concert began, he started shouting out random, drunken things. When it did finally began and Wilco took the stage, before each song began he would shout out "Wishful Thinking" several times at the top of his voice. What especially cracked me up about this is because "Wishful Thinking" is such a quiet, quiet, thoughtful song and this man was definitely not. During the first five songs or so he decided to garble the lyrics at the top of his lungs. Several times Chris and I both expressed we were on the verge of punching the man out. But then it grew quiet... I assumed he must have finally passed out from all the booze. Instead, he disappeared for the ENTIRE concert. When the lights came up in the theatre I asked Chris if he thought the guy had been kicked out. He conjectured that he was passed out in the bathroom somewhere or at the bar. Sure enough, when we exited the balcony there was seersucker dude, completely red-faced and sloshy, standing by the bar and yelling to his friends. Sigh. What would we be without wishful thinking?

No comments: