26 May 2006

semi-living garments

The Tissue Culture & Art (TC&A) Project is growing a tiny "victimless leather" jacket in the glass enclosure. They grow the leather out of immortalised cell lines with a polymer matrix underneath it shaped like a jacket. I thought it was a piece of fried chicken at first - some sort of bionic, super fried chicken made from the genetically superior portions of lesser pieces of fried chicken.
Now that I know it's not chicken, however, I really feel like TC&A are "artistically exploring and provoking notions relating to human conduct with other living systems, or to the Other. [...] This piece also presents an ambiguous and somewhat ironic take into the technological price our society will need to pay for achieving 'a victimless utopia'." Riiigggghhhht.

TC&A has a video at their site that shows the little chickenlet, err I mean victimless leather jacket, sweating in its glass enclosure. If you listen very carefully you can hear it whispering something... no, it isn't saying "wear me," it's saying... "kill me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too much of a skeptic. how can you mock what you know you secretly want to write a paper about?