07 January 2007

Scenic Polaroids

I've been taking a lot of Polaroids on my trip but I have wanted to focus on subjects that seem unlikely for the genre of the Polaroid (typical of the genre? head shots and children crawling on Santa Claus). Also, I've been taking series of the same subject to view them together. Working with a Polaroid camera has been challenging since I'm accustomed to using a digital camera - acquainting myself with distance and lighting requirements has certainly led to some wasted film. Below is a digital image of three pictures I took of a stretch of beach off the PCH (between Zuma and El Matador).

What did people do before digital cameras when they wanted to take subversive or illegal images? They took polaroids. There is something about the autonomy in processing that is really empowering and conducive for subversion. There is also something about their singularity and lack of reproducibility that makes me a little awed and wistful.

No comments: