14 May 2007

Rod Poole, 1962-2007












This afternoon we got a phone call telling us that our friend Rod Poole was stabbed to death last night in Hollywood - I think we're still having a hard time believing that it's true. Rod moved from England to LA in 1989 and met my family shortly afterwards - I first met him when I was eleven or twelve when he was helping my grandparents around the house (amongst other odd jobs) to support himself while he was trying to work on his music. Later on, when I moved down to LA and started going out to live shows pretty much every musician I ever talked to about Rod agreed that he was one of the most amazing improvisational guitar players they had ever heard. I have a lot of really funny memories of Rod but what I remember the most about him is how impassioned he was about politics and his sense of justice, especially for those who had less (both economically and socially) in society.

No comments: