19 November 2006

the Urban Dictionary

I've become obsessed with the Urban Dictionary - so much to the point that I've joined the leagues of volunteer editors who approve or reject attempted new entries. Wikipedia characterizes the site as possessing a low signal-to-noise ratio because of its broad acceptance policy and willingness to accept duplicate word entries, and suggests it is more entertaining than an authoritative guide to contemporary slang. Blah blah blah, why equate "authoritative" with particular, temporally and geographic specific lexical acceptance practices? Anyway, the dictionary has accepted my entry for "sympathy narf" - its very first entry! Of course, its root, "narf" was present in many iterations.

As editor, my favorite entries I recently approved include:

Dr. Fripper:
a meal consisting of fritos and dr.pepper yum yum!

I was sitting at home on the couch being lazy eating Dr. Fripper as my lunch.

shit skillet:
a) One who lacks severely in intellectual prowess or social grace. Unwanted or undesirable by even the lowest societal groups.
b) one who offers nothing of worth to anyone.

We don't want that shit skillet tagging along with us.

Glaph:
Mixture of seamen and urine.

Sadly, there was no sample sentence provided for "glaph" so that I could discern if "seamen" was in fact a homonym mistake or really did refer to sailors. If it was a mistake, then it's not nearly as interesting.

No comments: