02 December 2006

NBA Player-Hater Saturday: Hedo Turkoglu

I'm thinking of making it a regular part of my Saturdays to talk about one NBA player that I hate... usually for no particular reason except that he is supremely fugly or plays for a team that was mean to a team that I like. To inaugurate "player-hater Saturday" I'd like to introduce all of you to Hedo Turkoglu and Sloth, beloved character from The Goonies:

Separated at birth, I ask? Note the following similarities: asymmetrical, downturned right eye; gaping mouthed smile; and nuggetty, prominent ears.

Besides being... ummm misshapen, Turkoglu also upsets me for at least two other reasons. The first: he is Turkish and I have an irrational, entirely prejudiced fear of Turkish people - especially those who are on public record of possessing Turkish nationalist pride. Believe me, I know it's pretty messed up for me to think that way (I'm a little embarassed to be typing this), but nationalist pride usually scares me period. I grew up with my Armenian grandmother who was raised under the shadow of the loss of so much of her family between 1915-17.

The second reason I'm not crazy about Turkoglu was because he played for the Kings during the 2001-2 Western Conference finals against the Lakers. This seven-game series was unbelievable - the Lakers had beat the Kings in every one of their four games during the regular season and then it looked like we were going to lose to the likes of Chris "the bitch" Webber and Vlade "the foul-flopper" Divac. This was a big year for the Lakers - we were going for a threepeat - and it was before the following year of shame when Malone and Payton joined the team in an attempt to stack the team (the year all innocent faith I had in the Lakers quickly dissipated). In retrospect, I have to say it was one of the most exciting series I have ever seen (hello? Horry's three for the win at the end of game 4?), but at the time I hated the Kings (and Turkoglu) with a vengeance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hedo is sticky, man

R. Gay said...

I hate Turkoglu on principle. That boy is hateful ugly and he really does conjure up images from Goonies, though the guy on Goonies was slightly less frightening to look at.

Anonymous said...

well, before you comment on the looks of others, you may want to learn how to tell left from right.

believe me, it comes in handy at times.