09 December 2006

NBA Player Hater Saturday: Tim Duncan

I think this picture pretty much sums it up. Am I supposed to think Tim Duncan is a badass because he is sitting on a weird throne made of simulated ice? He still looks about as tough as my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Miller. So, why do I hate Tim Duncan?

1) He plays for the San Antonio Spurs and they irritate the hell out of me. They're just not fun to watch even though they win a lot. It's like watching someone milk a pig's prostate gland - sure, the job gets done, but it's just so... efficient and technical.

2) He has this reputation of being an all-around nice guy that just rings a little false to me. Sure, I'm jaded because I remember when Kobe Bryant was just this sweet, amazing basketball player and then he turned into a raging, inflated ego, but I suspect Tim Duncan isn't all that goody gumdrops perfect either. How do I know? That leads me to number three..

3) The reason I know he isn't perfect is because about a year ago when the NBA changed its dress code, Duncan told the media:
"I think it's a load of crap. I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded."

He didn't oppose the dress code categorically or talk about how it was implicating objects of dress that have been racialized and therefore denigrated in our culture - no, he was mad because he had to put on a sport coat and decided to liken the code to mental disability. As most of my friends know... you just don't use that word without thinking about it and who it affects.

4) His bio on nba.com says his favorite movie is The Crow. That is just... so lame. How much do you want to bet he has dressed up as the crow for halloween on at least one occasion and thought he really looked like a badass.

Extra credit for anyone who can suggest who Duncan was separated at birth from in the comments section. Come hate with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're crazy!!!
you're saying tim duncan is mean for saying that???
you're just mad that the spurs are the best team, and they deserve it!!!
they are definitely entertaining!!!
and duncan deserves to be sitting on that throne!!!

Anonymous said...

give it up and get over yourself! if you don't like watching the spurs play then go milk your pigs prostate gland! yes, they do win a lot! hater!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOAH WOAH so you have never refered to something as retarded? and Tim Duncan is the best PF to ever play the game. His technique is flawless and the guy has 4 rings 3 defensive player of the year awards and 2 MVP's. But ure hating on him for wat? being a nice guy? because the team was built around him? because he plays on THE MOST defensively aggressive team in the NBA? The only reason u think they are boring is because u lack the mental brain power to figure out the half court offense instead of watching some SG knock down 81 points and still LOSE. Duncan gets rings. KOBE DONT!!

mar said...

I usually don't respond to insipid comments (especially for a post that is about two years old now), but your first question motivated me to respond.

I don't use the word "retard" because I have someone in my life who is very special to me, who happens to be developmentally disabled, and who feels incredibly hurt by that word (she's not the only one).

Whether you agree with my preferences for players or NBA game style: it's irresponsible for a role model like Tim Duncan to use a word that hurts the perception and feelings of millions of people. These are often people who are unable to advocate for themselves.

So shut up and quit assuming just because you use offensive language that everyone else does.

Oh and btw, your assertion that Kobe doesn't get rings? Is your knowledge of NBA history a second old or something you dumbass?

Your Better. said...

Wow, I have to say, you are quite pathetic.

In a league filled with NBA players who cheat on their wives, have gambling addictions, use homophobic slurs (like how Kobe did) and even spit on fans (Shaq) or go into the stands to fight fans (Artest), you decide to pick on Tim Duncan, the most model man in the NBA?

Plain and simple, youre a sad pathetic loser.

Anonymous said...

dude - you commented on a 5 year old blog post. Tim Duncan used offensive, insensitive language. Yes, Kobe did recently as well.

Stop the hate, racist.